Wednesday, November 29, 2006

a typical day

Hmm...long day, but good. I had my morning class, as usual. The first great thing was all the great reactions I got to my hair when I walked in. I love those students! They're fun. The second great thing - I walked out after class feeling like I'd accomplished something. Those are always good days. I feel a connection with the students, I feel like they're getting it, and we even laugh and have fun. Those are the moments I understand why God made me a teacher.

Tuesdays are my long days. I have my extra class - Prepositions. I would be perfectly content to never, ever teach this class again. My hope is that I will not have to. Every Monday night I realize how deeply I despise the class (not the students, just the content...and the fact that I only see the students once a week so I hardly know them). Nonetheless, today was fun. After brainstorming with my roommates for awhile last night, we determined that the most fun and educational thing I could do in class today was to have the students do skits. So we did the normal routine - a quiz, then homework review - then they worked together on their skits. It was fun actually being able to interact with the individuals in each group, which is a rarity because this class is so brief. So that was a blessing.

To make my typical Tuesday longer, I stayed to observe my mentor teacher (she is teaching one of the classes I'll be teaching in the Spring...and today I met some of the students I'll have in that class...shh...don't tell them they're not going to pass her class!). It was a blessing though to be there. I was encouraged to be reminded that she and I have very similar teaching styles, but also recognized many ways in which I could improve my teaching. It was also refreshing to talk with her after the class for awhile.

Hmm...from there, I've basically been procrastinating. It is now 1:12am and I still need to prepare for tomorrow's class. So, with that said, I will going. I was just going to leave a quick message, but I guess this gives you a picture of a day in my life, which is the title of this blog, right!? Ok, so what I originally wanted to say was... Go check out Carlos Whittaker's blog if you haven't already. Yesterday, they brought home Losiah, a baby they've been trying to adopt from Korea for two years. It made me cry, but it's precious and exciting. If you want to see the journey, click on "Adoption" to the right and you'll find a collection of videos. Ok, I think it's finally homework time or I won't get any sleep tonight! God bless.

No comments: