Saturday, December 16, 2006

advent

I'm doing some research on Advent. It's an interesting thing from what I can tell. Although it is a long-standing tradition, it wears many different faces depending on the cultural and religious strand in which it is found. However, the bottom line is that it is a time of waiting and anticipation for the coming of the Lord (typically beginning 4 Sundays before Christmas Day). The focus is on two (and some say three) comings: 1) Jesus birth, 2) His second coming, and 3) His coming into our hearts and lives. While see this anticipation as a time for penance and self-sacrifice in order to make ourselves right for the second coming of Christ, many choose instead to focus on the hope that comes through Christ. In both traditions, Advent is a time of reflection, patience, and a refocusing of our attention on Christ. While Advent has never been a tradition in my family (aside from our candy countdowns that we started on December 1st each year and let us know when Santa would be coming), it is something I'm finding myself quite intrigued by, for I know that I need to dig deep into my own heart and see myself and Christ more clearly. So, I will continue to dig into this thing called Advent as I seek to find and live out the true meaning and purpose of this Christmas celebration.

Check out this suggested prayer for the first day of Advent:
Lord God, I sense your power, your might and I stand in awe, painfully aware of how poor and weak I am before you. As I begin this Advent journey, teach me to turn to you in my fear and sorrow. I don't want to keep making my heart hard against you, turning a deaf ear to your invitation. Only you can help me to soften, to be like the clay in your gentle potter's hands.
"Why do you let us wanter, O Lord, from your ways, and harden our hearts so that we fear you not?" Isaiah 63

"Lord, make us turn to you; let us see your face and we shall be saved." Psalm 80
That I may see myself as I truly am and recognize my desperate need for Him. Blessings to you in this Christmas season...

No comments: