Friday, January 09, 2009

Uganda Update #2

1/9/09 7:31am (California Time)
Well, I’m somewhere over the Middle East right now. I just realized most of my flying has been over an ocean. It’s interesting being over places like the Grand Canyon, Ireland, Kuwait… Kind of unreal.

This plane is unreal too. I’ve never been so spoiled on a flight… Countless movies, TV shows, games, and so much more at my disposal. I don’t think I’ve ever watched so many movies in one sitting! (Literally…I really have to pee!) ;)

We’re almost through our second flight and should be landing in Dubai soon. I hear it’s a gorgeous city, but I’m not sure we’ll get to experience much other than the hotel. Hopefully we’ll take in a lot of scenery on the ride from the airport to the hotel. I’m looking forward to one last night in a comfy bed and morning with a fresh, warm shower.

It’s not quite real to me yet that I’m about to spend 4 weeks in Gulu. I don’t think I’ve adjusted emotionally, physically, or spiritually. If you could pray for those adjustments, that would be great. I’ve been sitting on this plane for nearly 13 hours. As I’ve watched movie after movie, I keep thinking I need to be preparing my heart and mind, but honestly, I’m not sure where or how to start.

…And we’re landing…

1/9/09 2:05pm (California Time) / 1/10/09 2:05am (Dubai)
We made it to our hotel in Dubai at about 11pm, had some dinner, and showered. We get to sleep for a few hours, then we had back to the airport at 6am for our last flight into Kampala, the capital of Uganda. We’ll land at 3pm (Saturday, 4am PST), hop into a van, and drive about 6 hours up to Gulu. We should arrive in Gulu, Uganda around 10pm (Saturday, 11am PST). Hopefully we’ll get a good night’s sleep, and then the real journey begins.

Please pray for rest (especially for Rob and Leah as they’re sleeping around baby Abel’s schedule) and adjustments (to the time, the climate, and the culture) as we settle in in Gulu. Also, pray that our hearts and minds would be ready and open for whatever God has in store.

Thanks a million!Jenelle

No comments: