Sunday, January 11, 2009

Uganda Update #3

1/10/09 1:40pm (PST) / 1/11/09 12:40am (Uganda)
Well, I just got all tucked away in the bed where I'll be sleeping for
the next 4 weeks. Ordinarily, this is a rather simple task. However,
add the obstacle of cautiously securing a mosquito net around the
mattress and then weaseling your way in, only to discover that you
need a few more things before you sleep, and the task becomes a bit
more daunting. So you finally settle in, and think you're set for the
night… Then comes the dreaded buzz in your ear. Not only have you
secured yourself in the mosquito net, but you've trapped one of the
little buggers in there with you! I've been tracking him with my eyes
for several minutes now, and have made a few swatting attempts, but
alas, I think I have an unwanted sleeping buddy. I have not yet seen
him land, so I'm not sure if he could have malaria or not (apparently,
the type that can carry it land upside down…rather strange if you ask
me). Hopefully I make it through the night unscathed.

A brief recap of our travels…

It feels like we've been traveling for days…we have! Abel did very
well the whole time. Although…he had quite a bit of energy, so Rob
and Leah haven't gotten much sleep. Marcus and Happiness have had
some unforgettable "first-time-overseas" experiences. Their luggage
was lost in Dubai (no worries…it made it to Uganda!) and Marcus was
racially profiled in Customs and they did a full search of his bags.
Riss found a small bolt in one of her airplane meals and got a free
gift to make up for her traumatic experience. And my only pair of
tennis shoes I brought began falling apart before we even reached LAX.
Crazy glue got me to Uganda, but I think it's time to say farewell!

Nonetheless, after about 24 hours on planes, two layovers, one hotel,
and about 6 hours on some very bumpy roads in a van, we are finally in
Gulu. Tomorrow is our day of rest – literally – and Monday, the
craziness begins. I hear we will wake around 6am and work until 10pm
on most days.

Pray for our health. Pray for unity on our team. But most of all,
pray for spiritual eyes, that we may see the things God wants us to
see.

Thanks!

Jenelle

No comments: