Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Uganda...9 days and counting

Almost a year after my last post, I'm back! I'm leaving for Uganda in NINE days. That's crazy. As I go, I want to write. I hope you guys will hang with me through my journey.

It's crazy to think we leave so soon. Life has been so busy that I haven't really been able to process much regarding the trip. As I sat at our team meeting tonight, I realized how excited I am. Until tonight, I have been consumed by other emotions...

I'm scared... It's going to be really hard to leave some things that I love. I have no idea what to expect. I don't know if I'm strong enough or wise enough to handle what we will encounter. It's not the safest place in the world, and the spiritual warfare will be different than anything I've ever experienced.

I'm unprepared... I still don't have the money for the trip. I haven't studied nearly as much about the culture and the country as I would like to. I have shopping and packing and several other things that still need to be done.

But I'm excited. My heart has ached since I last returned from Vietnam (about 3.5 years ago). My heart longs to be in other cultures, to learn, to stretch, to discover... I miss it so much. I can't wait to be out of my box, out of my routine, out of my world and my life... observing, absorbing, being shaken. I can't wait to meet the people, see the sights, and just be rattled. The most important things on the packing list: camera, notebooks, laptop. I'm so anxious to be a sponge.

Now, if I could just get all the other details taken care of before I hop on that plane!

No comments: