Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Uganda Update from Riss

This is from Riss. I thought several of you would be interested in
hearing from her. I'm working on one, but have run out of time at the
internet cafe! Hopefully I'll be able to send another one soon!
Thanks for your continued prayers!

Jenelle


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charissa Six <riss_dawn@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:47 AM
Subject: update


Hey,

I wanted to say "Sorry" as I have just been told that I am slacking in
my amount of story-telling e-mails. I will try to make up for it a
little bit right now. =D

A few things first though, I want you to know that I just got my first
mosquito bite. This is actually a welcomed bite as I was expecting to
be fighting them off the entire time I was here. But I haven't been
and still don't. Rest assured that although I'm happy with the one,
that's enough for me. So, the DEET is going to be layered on a little
bit more often.

So, ya, pictures are definitely going to be delayed until I get home.
I would totally send some now but I don't have a camera and if I did,
I don't have a flash drive to attach the pics to an e-mail. Bummer. =D
Can you imagine me smiling a huge smile and riding on dusty bumpy
roads in a 12-passenger van? If so, that's a pretty general picture of
something that happens every day.

Yesterday I had the thrill of a lifetime. I got to play soccer with
Ugandans. Not only that, but I was the only woman on the field!! Yeah,
that's pretty cool. There was a team of people at an IDP camp that was
doing trauma counseling. As a part of the ministry, for fellowship and
encouragement, that team had asked Favor of God to play a match
against the men that lived at the camp. Since I love the sport and the
guys were willing, I got to play the first half with them. So I
played, but I didn't have cleats and the field was not exactly what I
would call flat. Nonetheless, I played and still have a smile in my
heart. We lost 2-1. Not bad for a bunch of men who "haven't played in
years" and had never played together. I think our team leader,
Godfrey, is a little dissatisfied with the outcome. =D Sounds like
he's rounding up some more players for next time . . . which may be in
a few days.

I think the best part was the uniforms. Do you remember when I told
you about the soccer donations? Do you recall that I got a large bag
full of complete uniforms? Well, they just became the official
uniforms of Team Favor!! I had the honor of wearing one myself and
taking a team photo with the guys just before the game. What an honor
and a blessing it was to see the full circle of generosity and giving.
From the point of receiving them to looking around the field and
seeing my Ugandan teammates wearing them proudly, I was blessed and
overwhelmed.

I hope you are doing well these days. I will be in touch again soon.
Please let me know what you've been up to as well. I love hearing
about it. Definitely.

Much Love and Peace,

Riss

--
http://dualeoday.blogspot.com/

"Time spent in prayer will yield more than time given to work. Only
prayer gives work its worth and its success." ~Andrew Murray

"Prayer does not equip us for greater works— prayer is the greater
work." ~Oswald Chambers

No comments: