Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Uganda Update #8

1/28/09 9:20am (PST) / 1/28/09 8:20pm (Uganda)
About a year ago, we were given brief biographies of each of the
full-time staff at Favor of God. I read through them trying to find a
female staff member that I might be able to connect with, in praying
for her and possibly keeping in touch through email or letters. As I
read all the bios, I felt I wouldn't be able to relate to most of the
women. I'm not sure why; I just didn't think I would have anything in
common with them. One bio stood out to me though. This woman was
responsible for several administrative aspects at FOG. I'm not sure
what it was about her, but I just sensed that we might be able to
relate to each other.

I pondered on that for a few days, but as is typical for me, I got
distracted and lost that idea somewhere in the back of my mind. So
here we are a year later and I am on the ground at FOG. I've spent
time with many of the staff and have enjoyed learning about their
ministries and a little about their stories. It's been hard, though,
for me to connect with the women. They are super friendly and very
helpful, but there is just something there that makes our interactions
seem a little forced and unnatural…except for one.

From the first time I met Judith, there was something about her that
was drawing me to her…something I respected, something I felt I could
relate to. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I talked to her one
day and shared that I would really like to spend some time with her
throughout my stay…observing her, asking questions about the ministry,
learning about her, learning from her. As she responded, I could tell
she felt the same way about me. She thought that was exactly what we
needed to do. As I shared with her, it triggered something in my
mind, and I suddenly realized this is the one who had stood out to me
a year ago as I prayed through the faces and the stories of the FOG
staff. I didn't know a year ago, and I still didn't know what this
pull was that I was sensing, but I was certain Judith and I needed to
spend some time together.

Throughout the trip, our schedules haven't really worked together.
While the team was here, I was running every which way, and when they
left, Judith left with them! I was really bummed that she was gone.
She returned yesterday though, which I didn't find out until later in
the afternoon, so I was hoping to connect with her today. As I walked
outside to find someone else yesterday afternoon, Judith caught me!
We were both very excited to see each other. We began talking and
couldn't stop.

What began as just a discussion about the schedule for the rest of
Charissa and my time here, became a passionate discussion about the
desperate needs of this country and culture. Our hearts resonated
together on so many points. As we talked, we began to revive in each
other passions that I know God has placed in both of us.

We talked about the school. The new school year begins on February
2nd. There is much to be done in Uganda in the area of education.
Another wise woman shared with me last week that this country will
never truly change without 1) Christ and 2) education.

Without real education, the people continue making decisions based on
false and faulty information which propels them on in the broken state
that they are in, and at times, even worsens the situation. The
greatest problem with education here is that students are often passed
without learning a thing, because it is easier to pass the problems on
to the next teacher instead of dealing with them.

Another, perhaps more tragic, problem is that very little is taught in
the area of critical thinking. Students are spoon-fed information,
and then given a test where they're asked to regurgitate that
memorized information, without ever being asked to process it, use it
in any practical sense, or even understand it. Many students complete
school here without any real skills. They apply for jobs and are
hired based on their diplomas, yet they are incapable of doing the
jobs. Many who get into the universities have no idea what's going on
because they've never been challenged to think before.

Favor of God has started a primary school to combat this. Their
vision is that the FOG primary school would stand out as a school that
holds to firm standards, a school whose graduates are actually
well-equipped and prepared for university, for employment, and for
life. Their desire is that their graduates would make a difference
for the Kingdom, for the nation, and for the community.

Unfortunately, although they've set and held to strict standards in
their first year and have a remarkable vision, they continue to use
many of the same methods of teaching that have been used
unsuccessfully for as long as anyone can remember. The good news is
that the principal and the teachers seem open to new ideas and
strategies, and they really seem passionate about genuinely equipping
these students.

On Saturday, they will have their annual teacher's meeting before the
year begins on Monday. Charissa and I have been invited to
participate in this meeting. After all the business is dealt with,
we've been given the open door to teach them anything we believe is
relevant. They are also preparing to share with us many of the
challenges and difficulties they have had in teaching.

I've been excited about this opportunity since before the trip simply
because that is what Riss and I do and I was hoping to be of some kind
of use while we were here, so I was more excited when something
finally got set in stone. After talking to Judith yesterday though,
my heart is so burdened for the students, heavy that they would
actually learn, grow, and be changed in this school.

So many of the ways of life here are so far from what the Bible
teaches and so destructive. I was beginning to wonder if it was just
cultural differences that I need to suck up and deal with, or if these
things I'm seeing are truly wrong and need to be changed. I asked
Judith because I don't want to challenge culture, but I do want to see
lives changed for the better. She completely agreed with me, that
although these things are a part of the culture here, they are, in
fact, very destructive, and that the people need to learn the ways of
God if there is ever to be any true hope of healing and change.

I think most would agree that societal change must involve the
children. Behavior must change. Mindsets must change. Attitudes
must change. Values must change. These children will become the
leaders of the nation. But how can we change the children? As I
realized how many children there are and how impossible it would be to
reach each one directly, I became a bit discouraged. But then I
realized that if the mamas and teachers were taught and built up, they
could impact countless children.

I began to see FOG school as a beacon of hope for this nation. It
sounds wild, but really. Their ministry already shines so brightly in
the north. I don't believe there's a soul in the area that doesn't
know of FOG, which is pretty amazing considering the vast number of
NGOs up here. But FOG is different. They stand out. I absolutely
believe their school will stand out; it already does to the
immediately surrounding community. What's really going to make it
stand out though is the quality of the education and the passion of
the teachers for their students. If those things are truly different
than the other schools, the enrollment at FOG school will increase,
which means more children will be impacted, not only academically, but
spiritually and emotionally. But the teachers must truly know how to
educate the students, not just get them to the next grade. (This
school, by the way, is where all the orphaned children from the House
of Hope attend.)

Another vision I had was of FOG school becoming a training hub for
other teachers. If their students' performance, attitudes, and
lifestyles begin to stand out to the community, to the high schools,
to the universities, my hope is that other schools would seek their
counsel and training in improving their own educational techniques and
strategies. Again, this has been seen in other areas of ministry
within FOG. I believe it could also happen in the schools.

I'm not sure if I've communicated all of this clearly, but here is my
request from you… Pray!!! Pray for our time on Saturday. I know
that God has ordained this time, but I have no idea what we're going
to share with these teachers! I know that we need to share our
passion and our hearts with them. I know they need to be challenged
and encouraged in taking their students to deeper levels of learning
including processing and using the information they're memorizing, in
critical thinking, in personal and character growth. I also know that
very few, if any, interactive teaching methods are used. Currently,
the teachers lecture, and the students listen and memorize. We would
like to introduce some new techniques.

We want to be sure to respect and appreciate the knowledge and
experience that these teachers have. We want to present ourselves as
colleagues, as brothers and sisters in Christ, not as experts. I pray
that we would honor them as we attempt to challenge them. I pray that
they would be open-minded and interested. I also pray that we would
learn from them.

I have one additional concern for the school. They have added two
more grade levels for this academic year (which will put them at
Kindergarten thru 6th grade). They are still short a couple
classrooms because they have been short on funding. They have secured
land and have built a structure containing 5 new classrooms. They got
the funds to complete one of those classrooms. They need to complete
at least one more before Monday. The total cost to complete the
building and make it ready for use is a mere $6,000, but the demands
on FOG have been high, and the financial support has not matched that.
They are being stretched thin in all areas of the ministry.
Preparing the school is one of the greatest needs though. $6,000
would have the school ready to go when the students arrive on Monday
(all the furniture is already available). This would not include the
new teachers' salaries, but it would at least have the facilities in
place. As far as the teachers' salaries go, there are 12 and they
each get paid about $130/month (PER MONTH!!). It would be such a
small sacrifice for us in the States to help provide for this school.

I'm wondering if any of you have a burden for the FOG school. I know
I do. I am anxious to see what God will do through this school and
these teachers, and in time, through the students who have graduated
from this school. If you feel a burden for this school, I ask that
you would consider a one-time gift that would help complete the $6,000
of construction or perhaps even a monthly gift that would help to
provide for the teacher's salaries. This burden has been so heavy on
my heart that I couldn't help but share it with you and ask you to
join us in this vision, especially with the need being so urgent with
school starting in less than a week.

If you are interested in supporting this vision, you can give directly
online at http://favorofgod.org/donate/. You can also mail checks to
Favor of God, P.O. Box 4562, Riverside, CA 92514. Be sure to include
a note that it is for the FOG primary school.

My conversation with Judith sparked some other exciting things…I will
have to share those later! ;)

Thank you guys for all your encouragement and prayer. P.S. So many
of you have sent encouraging emails over the last several days, and I
know there are many I don't even know of that are praying. Keep it
up! It's working. Yes, I am still anxious to come home, but I am
actually thinking I am going to miss this place! That's huge. I had
several encourage me to let go…of expectations, demands, and pressure
that I'd placed on myself. I think to a large degree, God has helped
me to do that and to just go with it. The weight I felt on my
shoulders has lightened, I'm getting more comfortable and confident
moving around town and getting involved in different things, and I'm
connecting with people a little better than I was…all because I let go
of the pressure! He's allowed me to be a part of conversations that
have brought out my passions and my gifts, and I feel like He's
allowing me to use those a bit to help FOG and encourage people here.
God has also been reminding me to be in prayer as I move through the
town and participate in different activities. Pray that I would
remember to do that, and that as I do, He would open my eyes to what
HE sees.

Love you guys!

Jenelle

P.S. Attached is a picture of the new building at the FOG school.

P.P.S. Just a heads up on what I'll be up to today… I'll probably be
working with Judith most of the day on some administrative stuff –
organizing some information that we can use when we get back to the
States to help with the ministry here. I'll also be attending a Bible
study across the street at another orphanage. One of the mamas there
is learning to lead the other mamas in Bible study. It's pretty cool.
We got to meet with her earlier this week to help her prepare. Her
name is Christine if you'd like to pray for her. This evening,
hopefully I'll get back over to House of Hope to spend more time with
the kids and mamas.

1 comment:

Nadia Marie said...

Hmmmmm... sounds just like the quality of education children here are recieveing... so sad
Very glad to hear you had that time with Judith and I'm sure if left in God's hands you and Rissy will be awesome on Saturday!
Love you guys!!