Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Mission Impossible...or is it?

I decided I need to be more transparent on here. I have no problem sharing struggles or joys with people, as long as I don't have to share the specifics. So I'm hoping to change that a bit. These are discussion questions from Sunday's message at Sandals. We're doing a series called Mission Impossible. Anyways, I decided I needed to think on some of the things discussed, then thought it would be interesting to share my thoughts. So here are a few...
Think of a time when you were NOT invited to a function, a party, or an event. How did it make you feel?
It's amazing. Even when I don't have any desire to attend something, I feel rejected if I'm not invited. I get bummed out and can't figure out what to do with myself. I just bum around aimlessly. What always astonishes me though, is that if I am invited and decline, I feel so much freedom. I feel like the world is mine and I can accomplish anything.
Some Small Groups are going to go to public places just to practice talking to people and starting conversations. Would you be willing to do this?
It seems odd at first thought, but really, that's what I do a lot of the time. Somehow, in college, I realized that people mattered...even seemingly unimportant people. I determined to do what I could to make people smile, to make them feel loved. It's funny, my dad has commented so many times lately at how odd it is that he's starting conversations with complete strangers ( i.e. cashiers, waitresses, other customers wherever we are). We kind of giggle because it would have been so unnatural and out of the question for him a few years ago. But now, it happens without him realizing it. We grin at each other because he knows how proud I am.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, rate yourself on how well you've done talking to others about JC. What practical improvements do you think you could make?
Maybe a 5. I probably do it more than a lot of people, but not nearly as much as I should. Although I go out of my way to talk to people and be genuine with them, I don't always take the conversations where I could. I've realized recently that my conversations used to be a lot more focused on the person I was talking to and on encouragement and uplifting challenges. Those conversations were refreshing, and they nearly always led to Truths about Him. Now, however, I seem to just spew out whatever thoughts and emotions are on my mind. Sometimes those aren't so bad, while other times, I walk away and think, "Dang, that was just down right discouraging."

All that to say, I need to be more intentional about my conversations. They don't need to be about me, unless what I share would be encouraging to the people listening. I've found that when He's the center of my universe and my focus is on Him first, then on others and their needs, He becomes the center of many conversations quite naturally. So, step 1: Make Him my center. Step 2: Watch Him pour out of me.
Is anyone exempt from following the great commission (going, teaching, and baptizing)?
I don't necessarily think that the GC demands that everyone go...at least not far. I do believe that He has called every believer to His mission. But that has many folds. There are those that sow, those that reap. I also believe there are those that pray. I know a few individuals who have never left US soil, but their prayers have aided work around the globe and moved hearts closer to Him, and their hearts, attitudes, and words have inspired others to go. Some of those who have never 'gone' have done more for His mission than those who have gone to the ends of the earth. I believe we have all been commanded to play a role, to have a heart and a vision for His global purpose. I don't believe that looks the same for each of us.
Try to recall a time when you were in a situation and you knew that He was giving you an opportunity to talk to someone about JC. What happened? How did you respond?
As far as I can remember, when He says talk (or go, or do), I generally do so. It seems much wiser than making my own plans. In this type of situation, I don't think obedience is my obstacle. Rather, I often struggle distinguishing between His voice and my emotions. Sometimes I wish there was a blinking sign in front of me. But then, there are so many things He has explicitly said do, and I struggle to do. Maybe He's waiting to speak more clearly until I prove than I am willing to be obedient to what I've already heard. Something to ponder...
What do you feel is one of your most effective methods for communicating to others about JC? Why?

Living it. Loving people. When we live like He's told us to, when we set our priorities as He's called us to, we begin to overflow with Him. As I said, the conversations just come because people ask.
What is your least effective way?
Debates, arguments. I get too worked up. I like to win. But it's not my job to win. It's my job to share love and hope. So in those situations develop, my priorities and focus get out of wack. Not incredibly effective...or loving.

Actually, I have to add to that... I suck at trying to be everything to people for His sake. He doesn't need me! I don't have enough to give! My heart may be right, my desire for people to see Him through me...until I'm empty, and I begin failing them left and right, and my selfishness and brokenness win out...then I just make a mess...in fact, sometimes I think I do more damage than good for His name. That's all when I'm living on my own strength and lose sight of Him. That's probably the least effective way for me...and all of us, really.
What can you do to become a better communicator to others about JC?
Get my priorities straight and allow Him to be the focus of everything in me. Ya, it's a simple thing...YA RIGHT! Seriously though, it all flows from my walk with Him. If that's not growing, if I'm not leaning on Him and growing from His Word, it doesn't matter what comes out of my mouth.
Love is the core of His message to us. If we don't share with others, how does this mean that we don't love them enough?
People are looking for hope, looking for meaning. Living for Him, walking with Him, that is what we were built for. He is the only answer to those needs, those desires, those longings. Anything else we try to give, any other way we try to love, will only fall short and disappoint.

No comments: